Thursday, May 27, 2010

+DEV+ A Familiar Voice

Date: May 27, 2010 10:54 PM
Topic: +DEV+ A Familiar Voice

A Familiar Voice

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me-just as the Father knows me and I know the Father-and I lay down my life for the sheep" (John 10:14-15).
Scripture Focus: Ezekiel 34:1-16

If I had to pick any animal to compare myself to, sheep wouldn't come close to making the list. Sheep are helpless, stubborn and fearful. They are weak, frail and require their shepherd's constant care. Not a flattering picture, yet God compares us to sheep over and over again in His Word.

If we are sheep, then the LORD is our shepherd. The 23rd Psalm describes what it means to belong to Jehovah Raah, the LORD My Shepherd. It is a personal relationship-my shepherd-in which the shepherd cares for all the needs of His sheep: food, safety, comfort, correction and security.

When Jehovah Raah sent His Son, Jesus, He sent us a shepherd "with skin on." He's a shepherd whose voice we can recognize and follow...Who fought the wolf and won the victory for His sheep . . . a loving, faithful shepherd strong enough to hold each of us in His safekeeping until the end.

Being compared to a sheep may not seem flattering, but I wouldn't trade belonging to the Great Shepherd for anything!

Insight: Amid the world's noise, how well do you recognize the voice of your Shepherd? Become more and more familiar with His voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment