Sunday, November 28, 2010

+DEV+ An Ear for God

Date: November 28, 2010 2:10 PM
Topic: +DEV+ An Ear for God

An Ear for God

"'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth'" (Psalm 46:10).
Scripture Focus: Psalm 46

We had been radioed to check a Soviet sympathizer group that was located in a wooded area near the Line between East and West Germany. I knew it was "serious" when the soldier gave me an extra set of keys to his vehicle. As we left the vehicle and made our way around the compound, we listened, aware of every little noise and sound. The adrenalin was working overtime.

As I think of that event, I'm reminded of times in Scripture that God called us to listen carefully. To Elijah He spoke in the still, small voice. Samuel heard God speak: "The Lord came and stood there, calling as at the other times, 'Samuel! Samuel!' Then Samuel said, 'Speak, for your servant is listening'" (1 Samuel 3:10). This Hebrew word for "listening" denotes giving our undivided attention for making just decisions. The noise of our complex lives is a deadly enemy of listening, sidetracking us and dulling our ability to make wise choices. Resolve in this New Year to be a genuine and thorough listener, keeping watch "to see what he will say to me" (Habakkuk 2:1).

Insight: I Will Concentrate On Giving God Both My Time And Attention With Fresh Love And Reverence To Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment