Wednesday, January 5, 2011

+DEV+ Be Still

Date: January 5, 2011 10:55 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Be Still

Be Still

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth'" (Psalm 46:1, 10).
Scripture Focus: Psalm 46:1-11

Years ago when my daughters were young, when they talked to me, I often neglected to give them my full attention. "Look at me, Dad!" they would plead. She wanted my full attention, to my full shame...

How often it must seem that the Lord has to call out to us that way when we show little interest in Him. The pressing details of life dominate when really what we need to do is be still. Psalm 46, addressing this, could be summarized: "Look at God; give Him your attention!"

We may recognize God's presence more when we are still than when we are signing up for more Bible studies or church activities. The Bible never encourages over-scheduling. But it does encourage us to be still as He writes on our heart, stirs our conscience, and whispers in our ear.

Psalm 46 tells how God directly impacts our lives. We can be still because we are safe: God is our refuge. We can be still because we are strong: God is our strength. We can be still because we are supported: God is our help. We can be still because we are in awe: God is exalted.

Insight: Be Still, Give God time to impress your heart with His attributes and bring to mind the qualities He wants to use in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment