Tuesday, May 3, 2011

+DEV+ Growing Down, Not Up

Date: May 3, 2011 12:07 AM
Topic: +DEV+ Growing Down, Not Up

Growing Down, Not Up

"I am the vine; you are the branches, If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you" (John 15:5,7).
Scripture Focus: John 15

My children's generation was once dubbed the "boomerangs" because so many of them come back home to live with their parents. The economy has something to do with that trend ... it's not so easy to launch out on your own anymore.

Our culture values independence, but spiritually it's never the goal. The Lord doesn't want us to grow up and stand on our own two feet. Jesus wants us to remain, or abide, in a close, constantly dependent relationship with Him.

As believers we grow up by growing more and more dependent on Jesus. Living life on our own is a formula for anxiety, and Jesus wants to relieve us of that pressure. We can give Him all the burden of being grownups and move in with Him. We can trust Him to provide everything we need. It was my daughter Kate who showed me the connection between prayer and Jesus' command to remain in him. Abiding means spending intimate time with Jesus, drawing on Him as our life and asking and receiving from Him as we go through the day.

Insight: "Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will rescue you" (Isaiah 46:4).

No comments:

Post a Comment