Tuesday, May 21, 2013

+DEV+ Are We Useful?

Date: May 21, 2013 10:08 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Are We Useful?

Are We Useful?

"I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains. Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me." (Philemon 1:10-11)

Scripture Focus: Philemon 1:8-16

One of the first things I want to do when I get to heaven is arm wrestle the Apostle Paul for the title, "Chief of Sinners!" When I look back on the first 25 years of my life, I see nothing but lawlessness, disobedience, debauchery and sin. Like Onesimus, I was useless.

In Onesimus, we have a glorious picture of the transforming power of the Gospel. The name Onesimus means "useful," but because he was a rebellious slave both to sin and to his master, he rendered himself "useless." It wasn't until he heard the good news of the Gospel from a prisoner while in prison that he was able to live up to the name God ordained for him.

The first time I heard and believed the Gospel I was facing over a hundred years in prison. I had absconded with His gifts and talents to live what I thought was a footloose and fancy free life. I was Onesimus - useless. Christ alone, my gracious Master, called me out of my life of hopelessness and made me useful. The name I carry now wherever I go is the name of Jesus Christ!

Insight: This is the heart's cry of every believer: “Me, Lord, and make me 'Onesimus' (useful)!"



Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment