Wednesday, February 2, 2011

+DEV+ God's First Promise

Date: February 2, 2011 10:57 PM
Topic: +DEV+ God's First Promise

God's First Promise

"...a faith and knowledge resting on the hope of eternal life, which God, who does not lie, promised before the beginning of time" (Titus 1:2).
Scripture Focus: Proverbs 8:22-31

This is Wondrous! God promised before the world began to give his people (not yet created) eternal life - everlasting joy in His presence! This was His purpose in creating us. And this was given us in Christ before all time.

This promise makes me keenly aware that my future is not dependent on my past or my present. Nor does it rest on any aspect of my life - my shortcomings and misdeeds, any virtues I may have. My future is founded entirely and securely on God's promise eons before I ever was. My eternal being is rooted in God's ageless plan. What security that gives us!

My destiny, therefore, is founded on God's character not on mine, on His promise, not on any I might make. And our aim in sharing this good news is that others might also become heirs of this promise, made before time began, in Christ.

As our hearts are warmed to Him for His tremendous love, we say with Paul, "O, the depth of the riches of wisdom and knowledge of God!"

Insight: Do we grasp that God's promise of eternal life is not based on our doing? It was made in God's heart before we were created.

No comments:

Post a Comment