Thursday, July 5, 2012

+DEV+ Failed Words

Date: July 5, 2012 10:04 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Failed Words

Failed Words

"Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall; he lifts his voice, the earth melts, Come and see the works of the Lord, the desolations he has brought to the earth."  (Psalm 46:6, 8)
Scripture Focus: Psalm 46

As I write this, it is the 30th anniversary of the day in 1980 that Mt. St. Helens erupted. A recent NOVA television special showed the astonishing footage of one of the most dramatic volcanic eruptions ever. The side of the mountain appeared to simply melt away. Watching it on TV, I recalled the psalmist's words: "He lifts his voice, the earth melts."

What a fitting image as we think of the majesty of the voice of our God. He speaks, and the earth dissolves. It also makes me think of my own words. No matter how I set myself anew to choosing them carefully, my attempts at speaking to honor Him melt away like that mountain. My sin-tainted utterances are as far from His glory as ever could be imagined.

But also as far apart - even as the east is from the west! - is how far He has removed the guilt of my sinful speech from Him. He's cast it into the deepest ocean, forgiving me, though my words fall short repeatedly. Rather than opening my mouth again, I would be still and know that He is God (v. 10).

Insight: There Is No Word Or Argument So Severe That It Cannot Be Covered By The Cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment