Thursday, March 28, 2013

+DEV+ By Grace: A Great Shepherd [15 of 27]

Date: March 28, 2013 1:58 AM
Topic: +DEV+  By Grace: A Great Shepherd [15 of 27]

By Grace: A Great Shepherd [15 of 27]

"He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." (Isaiah 40:11)
Scripture Focus: Isaiah 40:9-41; John 10:1-30

In these verses, we find a picture of our Lord Jesus as the gracious Shepherd of His flock. Jesus is called "Yahweh Adonai"(vs. 10), the Sovereign Lord of all power and majesty. He comes in humility as a shepherd, but He is much, much more. In the rest of the chapter we are told who this Shepherd truly is - "The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth" (v. 28). There is none other like Him who "brings out the starry hosts one by one and calls them each by name" (vs. 26).

The parallel New Testament chapter to Isaiah 40 is John 10. Here is what Jesus claims in its verses: "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep" (vs. 11). "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me..." (vs. 14). "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish..." (vs. 28-29). The Great Shepherd of Isaiah 40 is the Great Savior of John 10, the great Friend of sinners like us.

Insight: Have you heard the voice of the Shepherd? Be assured, "The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it" (1 Thessalonians 5:24).




Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment