Sunday, August 4, 2013

+DEV+ Let The Wise Listen

Date: August 4, 2013 8:29 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Let The Wise Listen

Let The Wise Listen

"Let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance...." (Proverbs 1:5)
Scripture Focus: Luke 2:41-52

A young boy was exerting his new found independence through choosing to listen when he wanted and to what he thought he needed to hear. His mother's wise response: "If I can't trust you to listen in the small things, how can I be sure you'll listen to my voice when I sense there's danger? Until I'm confident in that, we'll just stay home."

When it comes to the promptings of the Holy Spirit, I'm not so different from that child! I want to exert my independence from God's clear instructions and do what I think is right, listening only when I think it is necessary. But when we are independent from God, what happens the moment we're confronted with temptation, fear, doubt or trouble? We crumble. We don't know where to turn or what to do.

Even as a child, Jesus knew the importance of listening, especially to His Heavenly Father. For us, listening to God speak through His Word and His Spirit takes a life-time of practice and persistence. It's not natural or easy, but it is for our own good!

Insight: If we have not learned to listen to the Spirit, will we hear the voice of Jesus saying, "Follow me"?




Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.


 A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:  http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm


First 500 can receive by e-mail a copy of ether of two complete sets of devotionals series: "Forgiveness" Series or the "Grace" Series


No comments:

Post a Comment