Wednesday, September 9, 2009

+DEV+ E – Earnest of Our Inheritance

Date: September 9, 2009 9:49 PM
Topic: +DEV+ E – Earnest of Our Inheritance

E – Earnest of Our Inheritance


“You also were included in Christ. . . . Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance.” (Ephesians 1:13-14)
Scripture Focus: Ephesians 1

It couldn’t have been a more beautiful day to drive with Karen along Chicago’s Lake Shore Drive to a northside hotel to attend her nursing school banquet. This would be our third attendance together at this annual function, the first time being a blind date! Making a shallow excuse of needing to get the florist’s box from my car trunk, I pulled into a marina parking lot facing Lake Michigan. My heart seemed to be in my throat as I waited for Karen to notice something sparkling in the center of her orchid. I’ll let you imagine the gasp of joy and surprise when she spotted her diamond.

That May afternoon I gave Karen an engagement ring as an earnest, down payment on my promise to later add a plain silver band before a minister and witnesses. Two years and five weeks later the matrimonial knot was tied.

Believers are betrothed to Christ as their heavenly Bridegroom. He has given us the Holy Spirit as a pledge of His intention to one day fully redeem us into His presence.

Insight: Christ’s “earnest gift” is not a ring but a person—the Holy Spirit who lives within to remind us constantly of Christ’s love.

To subscribe to this Devotional list send an email to daily_devotions@embarqmail.com with “subscribe-daily devotionals” in the subject line and I will be honored to add your email address to this list.

No comments:

Post a Comment