Tuesday, March 1, 2011

+DEV+ Promise of Experience of Jesus

Date: March 1, 2011 11:32 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Promise of Experience of Jesus

Promise of Experience of Jesus

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him" (John 14:21).
Scripture Focus: John 14:15-23

What Jesus promises is not experiences from Him but experience of Him. Throughout church history, where experiences have been sought for their own sake, the blessing has faded.

The 18th Century hymn writer, Anne Griffiths, suffered a great disappointment when her fiancees left her. As she cried out to the Lord whilst praying in a thicket of trees, she gave her life to Jesus, and He became instantly very real to her. Thus she wrote her great hymn: "See, he stands among the myrtles," quoting from Zechariah 1:11. The myrtle tree was a symbol of sorrow; indeed she had encountered Jesus at her place of sorrows.

Most often our experience of Jesus will be in scriptural terms. When I came to know the Lord, I had a vivid picture of Him dying on the cross for me, and in that instant I knew that He was alive and that He was God. I trusted my life to Him.

Your experience of Him may be different, but He always keeps His promise to show Himself to us if we ask Him to do so. Ask Him today!

Insight: We'll experience Him personally as we pray and meditate on the Word. Our hearts will warm towards Him as we see Him fulfill His promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment