Tuesday, March 8, 2011

+DEV+ Promise to the Despondent

Date: March 8, 2011 2:34 AM
Topic: +DEV+ Promise to the Despondent

Promise to the Despondent

"'But Lord,' Gideon asked, 'how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family'" (Judges 6:15).
Scripture Focus: Isaiah 40:28-31

There may be many reasons why we feel the "least" as Gideon did...unimportant or sidelined. You may have had some significance in your job but are now retired or unemployed. Your children may have grown up and moved away. You may feel now that you are getting older that life goes downhill from here.

The promise to those who feel advancing years is this: "Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you" (Isaiah 46:4). I have cashed this check at the bank of faith many times. The Lord doubles us on "I am he" and "I will sustain you" just to make His Word doubly dependable for us. We agree with a pastor at a Church in New York City who said we are "more sinful, evil and weak than we ever dared believe." Yet we rejoice in the knowledge that just as certainly true is God's promise that we are "more valued, accepted and loved than we ever dared hope."

Insight: When feeling down, trust the Lord's promise that "you will soar with eagle's wings." He will lift you up! Make use of His thermal up-drafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment