Thursday, March 31, 2011

+DEV+ Dinner with a Friend

Date: March 31, 2011 1:02 AM
Topic: +DEV+ Dinner with a Friend

Dinner with a Friend

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me" (Revelation 3:20).
Scripture Focus: Revelation 3:14-22

Jesus spoke those words to lukewarm believers in the church of Laodicea. Their passionless, prayer-less life could be traced to their false sense of self-sufficiency. In their hearts they said to themselves, "I am rich, I don't need a thing." But Jesus saw them differently. In reality they were "wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked".

When our prayer life starts to cool down, it's almost always because things are going well in our lives -we don't need a thing. Before long we find ourselves lukewarm and distanced from the Lord. Last summer I started sleeping through my prayer time and hitting the day without getting in touch with Jesus. It didn't take long for me to see how ugly and anxiety-filled life is when I try to live it on my own.

"Where are you, Lord?" I prayed and found the answer in this verse: "Here I am." The Lord is near. When we open the door, He comes in. Prayer is like eating a meal with our best friend. We can talk to Him about anything and ask Him for help with everything.

Insight: "You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows" (Psalm 23:5).

No comments:

Post a Comment