Monday, October 29, 2012

+DEV+ Distracted Hearts

Date: October 29, 2012 1:07 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Distracted Hearts

Distracted Hearts

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."  (John 10:10B)
Scripture Focus: Luke 10:38-42

I have a passion for reading. I will read almost anything, but I do not say that with pride. You see, though I prefer a good Sci-Fi or a novel, the junk mail will do, or a two year old weekly news magazine. At one time this habit of mine became such a hindrance that I chose to go on a "reading fast." For a while I "fasted" from all printed materials except my Bible. Instead of being a source of information and a pleasure, reading had become not only a time-waster, but had begun to fill the space in my heart which should have been reserved for connecting with Jesus.

Our Lord God calls us to abundant life. His desire is to fill our hearts to overflowing. If we are pre-filled with something already, we may well miss His "still, small voice" (1 Kings 19:12) speaking to us. Like Martha, is there something, even some "good" thing, distracting your heart? Make the better choice, as Mary did, and sit at Jesus' feet. May your heart be content in and attentive to Him.

Insight: Habits of life, though harmless they seem,/Must not my heart from Him ever sever/He is my all, there's nothing between. (Charles A. Tindley, 1905)

No comments:

Post a Comment