Wednesday, October 24, 2012

+DEV+ Weapon Number Three

Date: October 24, 2012 3:28 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Weapon Number Three

Weapon Number Three

"They overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death." (REVELATION 12:11)
Scripture Focus: Revelation 7:9-17

A friend of mine that I had met in Springfield  told me that in 1969 when he lived in Nairobi, Kenya where ethnic rivalry reached  a fever pitch with approaching elections. To assure victory, Kenya's largest tribe revived an ancient loyalty oath that swore obedience to the tribal ancestors. For born-again Christians, this was a problem. They could not "drink the blood oath" because they had already "drunk" the blood of Jesus. As they said, "The two bloods do not mix." Their determination to follow Jesus - even if it meant death - marked the revived Christians.

He told us of the events at that time eventually led to a funeral he attended for one Christian man martyred for Christ. Thousands gathered to mourn his death and celebrate his life. It was truly a holy moment when the martyr's widow - also beaten, but still alive - stood with raised, bandaged arms to say, "My departed husband and I freely forgive in the name of Jesus Christ those who did us harm." Do I value my Lord more than my own life, even so much as to not shrink from death? Do I freely forgive as He forgives me? Let us consider those sobering questions today.

Insight: "... Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters." (1 John 3:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment