Sunday, July 26, 2015

+DEV+ We Serve A Jealous God

Date: July 26, 2015 10:17 PM
Topic: +DEV+  We Serve A Jealous God

We Serve A Jealous God

"Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God." Exodus 34:14

Scripture Focus: Joel 2:12-18

I remember when I was leaving to go into the Army my jealousy was provoked. My relationship with Anita had just begun to be serious about marriage. But there was a student on the high school campus who swore he would ”move in” as I left town, and I was persuaded Anita was going to be bothered in him. 

When I think of the names of God, "Jealous" never comes to mind. Names like Emmanuel, Yahweh, or El Shaddai do, but not "Jealous." Yet this title is a special name connected to us, His people. Christ purchased us as His Bride and intends this relationship to be exclusive. Repeatedly, however, we provoke His jealousy and bring into the relationship other things we love more than Him. This is the very reason Jesus - our Husband - had to die. 

It turns out I was not wrong about that student. Though not yet married, I got a small taste of the desire Jesus has to be the only one on whom we rely. The "You shall have no other gods before me" commandment (Exodus 20:3) is the first one of the ten, reminding us of how ardently God seeks after our whole hearts.

Insight: God's jealousy for his people is a measure of His determination to love us exclusively. Much love... Much jealousy.




Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

We are in urgent need of Prayer and financial partners,
If you would like to become a prayer partner and or a financial partner with monthly or one time gifts.

A freewill offering to Restoration Ministry may be made via PayPal at our web site:    http://www.rollanet.org/~restore/donations.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment