Wednesday, July 22, 2009

+DEV+ Join the Team!

Date: July 22, 2009 11:15 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Join the Team!

Join the Team!

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him (Mark 1:16-18).
Scripture Focus: Mark 1:16-28

I watched as the Salem Tigers baseball team practiced. One day the coach invited me to join the team. I was ready, off the bleachers and quickly onto the field! Years later, the senior pastor called me into his office and asked if my wife and I would like to be a part of the pastoral team. We were thrilled and eager, ready to go.

In Mark 1, Jesus began drawing His team together–ordinary men for an extraordinary mission. When He asked them to follow Him, He meant that He would disciple them and send them back into the world to be “fishers of men.”

Jesus calls us to evangelism and discipleship. It’s been the primary task and mission of the church, and that hasn’t changed. Simon and Andrew left “at once,” dropping their nets to follow Him. I had my glove and was ready to go when I got the chance to join a baseball team. And when Jesus called me to Himself, I was ready!

Nothing should keep us from responding “at once” when Jesus invites us to join His team!

Insight: The disciples were willing to give up their primary concerns for something much better. Release whatever holds you back and follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment