Monday, August 27, 2012

+DEV+ Jesus, My Sin-bearer

Date: June 2, 2011 2:05 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Jesus, My Sin-bearer

Jesus, My Sin-bearer

"To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood..." (Revelation 1:5B)
Scripture Focus: Matthew 26:26-30

I knew Jesus as my sin-bearer when, at age 9, I repented and felt the joy of sins forgiven. Unfortunately, that vision of Jesus as my sin-bearer faded as I determined to be a model Christian. I graduated from being a sinner to a "striving saint" with no need for the blood to cleanse me because I convinced myself I did not sin. I could disappoint God by failure but attribute it to my personality, blame it on someone else, brush it off, or strive to be better.

It was in that doleful state that I - at age 23 - was trying my best to be an exemplary Christian in Germany. I reached the end of myself. Joy vanished. My discomfort intensified because I was surrounded by brothers and sisters in Christ who were seeing Jesus and testifying of His work in their lives. Then, inexplicably, the Holy Spirit laid bare the internal corruption I concealed. I saw myself as a sinner again, a hopeless one, just like when I first believed. I saw the Lamb again. By breaking and repenting at the Cross, I was free.

Insight: It's been said "move beyond the cross" into the resurrected life. But the cross is the center of resurrected life. Never move "beyond" it!

No comments:

Post a Comment