Thursday, January 24, 2013

+DEV+ Be Earthly Good & Heavenly Minded

Date: January 24, 2013 1:16 AM
Topic: +DEV+  Be Earthly Good & Heavenly Minded

Be Earthly Good & Heavenly Minded


"...we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is."  (1 John 3:2)
Scripture Focus: Colossians 3:1-4

God loves it when I long for heaven and can't wait to be with Him. This does not come naturally to me at all. My mind and time are consumed with earthliness, rooted to people, things, desires, fears, goals. My "to do" list dominates and determines how I approach the day. Habitually dazzled by creation and all that it offers and requires, I forget the Creator and His promise that I will be with Him and be like Him. Frankly, the thought of worshiping God all day every day can seem quite boring...until I sin again!

When I fall once more, I long for the day when I will be able to enjoy my Creator without this heap of sin which clings to me, follows me, weighs me down and blinds me to His glory. Here on earth, I cannot escape this twisted fallen-ness. But,
oh, the joy that is in store for me! One day, with unveiled eyes, and not a single thought for myself and my own glory, I will see His face and be like Him. And then the real party will begin.

Insight:  "They shall not always be as they are: a little while and they shall be freed from this vile body, which... must be entirely taken down."  (John Newton)




Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.


No comments:

Post a Comment