Sunday, January 20, 2013

+DEV+ Happy Helplessness

Date: January 20, 2013 10:40 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Happy Helplessness

Happy Helplessness

"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me.'" (2 Corinthians 12:9)
Scripture Focus: Romans 9

I hate being weak. Do you? I wish I could simply decide not to sin. After all, I've spent most of my life trying to do this very thing, meticulously endeavoring to turn over mountains of new leaves which stubbornly refuse to yield to my most ardent efforts. I have often thought of the Holy Spirit of God as a divine leaf blower which, if used properly and sincerely, would clear my life of unwanted debris and speed me on my way to godliness.

When I reach the end of myself, the truth becomes clearer: I need help. Though I may desire greatly not to sin, I am utterly unable to change my heart. I am no match for my own sinful soul, and I return to the very sin I just asked His forgiveness for! God refuses to take His orders from me; I am His lump of
clay, as dead and incapable of life or thought as a wet chunk on a potter's wheel. When God reminds me of this truth through my persistent failure, I throw myself on His mercy, undone by His great love for me. May you know that great love today, too.

Insight: "God sometimes shows us what he can do for us and in us; at other times... how unable we are to stand without him." (John Newton)


Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment