Sunday, January 27, 2013

+DEV+ It Is Christ Alone

Date: January 27, 2013 11:27 PM
Topic: +DEV+  It Is Christ Alone

It Is Christ Alone

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do."  (Ephesians 2:10)
Scripture Focus: Ephesians 2:1-10

My worst sins often come wrapped in my best acts of obedience! I cannot seem to obey God without taking pride in my willingness to cooperate with Him, without secretly hoping that others will notice my strength. How easily confused I am by my own goodness, eagerly taking credit for progress but making excuses for my weakness.

 My relentless and exhausting struggle with my sinful heart causes me to remember who gets credit for anything good in me. I know well that I am not capable of worship, good thoughts, a soft and tender heart towards God and His people, repentance or obedience. He must give me those good gifts. Otherwise, I experience the truth of my fallen depravity. My sin is all my own, utterly my own fault. Yet my obedience is not my own; it comes from another. On the last day it will be known to all that the only part I contributed to my salvation and sanctification was my sin. God is both the author and finisher of my faith, in charge from start to the end of my days on earth, and only He will get the glory.

Insight:  "Jesus Christ is more endeared to the soul; all boasting is effectually excluded, and the Glory of... free salvation is ascribed to him alone."  (John Newton)




Please feel free to use this devotional to send on to your friends or share with your church fellowship and Bible study groups
.

No comments:

Post a Comment