Tuesday, August 4, 2009

+DEV+ A Morning Song

Date: August 4, 2009 11:43 PM
Topic: +DEV+ A Morning Song

A Morning Song

“I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. O my Strength, I sing praise to you.” (Psalm 59:16-17)
Scripture Focus: Mark 1:29-39

In my years in the Military I often got up at five to meet with friends to pray before formation. I must admit that I often found myself dozing as they prayed. Those early devotional times didn’t continue for long, and I sometimes felt guilty about it. Then I heard a godly man say that he had his devotional time in the evening since it took “three cups of coffee and the grace of God” just to get his eyes open in the morning.

Jesus got up early to meet with His Father, but He also prayed throughout the day and even all night long. Anytime we meet God is good and my body is certainly more comfortable with evening devotions, but beginning the day with Him can be a real blessing. I don’t usually feel like singing as soon as I open my eyes in the morning (as my wife will attest), but I can praise God with a song in my heart. What a pleasure to lie under the covers, thinking of His love for me, committing the day to Him and praising Him. If I doze off for a short time it doesn’t matter because when I wake, He is still with me.

Insight: Christian music on a radio or a recording is a great wakeup call every morning. Starting the day with praise helps us focus on Him, not us.

No comments:

Post a Comment