Wednesday, August 26, 2009

+DEV+ Out of Control

Date: August 26, 2009 10:39 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Out of Control

Out of Control

“When the disciples saw him walking on the lake, they were terrified. . . But Jesus immediately said to them: ‘Take courage! It is I. Don’t be afraid.’” (Matthew 14:25-27)
Scripture Focus: Matthew 14:22-36

Jesus dismissed His disciples to head by boat to the other side of the lake. He went by Himself to a mountainside to pray. Later, a storm on the lake caused waves to crash against the disciples’ boat. They were terrified when Jesus walked to them on the storm-tossed water. They thought He was a ghost! He spoke soothing words to them: “Take courage! It is I.”

That reminds me of one night when I heard the police dispatcher call out instructions for officers involved in a "chase." As a pastor, I jumped in my car and headed for the scene. A crash had occurred and one of the officers was injured, pinned in his squad car. I asked God to help me with the right words as I walked over to the car. God provided that night as I ministered to the man caught in an out-of-control situation. He and I became good friends, sharing faith in the Lord.

When we find ourselves in out-of-control situations, we can go to the One who is always in control and He promises to help us.

Insight: When people are driven to the edge, Jesus brings an alternative to the disappointments of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment