Monday, April 4, 2011

+DEV+ A Good Long Drink

Date: April 4, 2011 10:57 PM
Topic: +DEV+ A Good Long Drink

A Good Long Drink

"On the last and greatest day of the Feast, Jesus stood and said in a loud voice, 'If anyone is thirsty, let him come to me and drink'" (John 7:37).
Scripture Focus: John 7:37-39

We tend to avoid praying when we need it most. If we’re spiritually down, we feel disqualified and cut off. we think, "First I have to straighten out my heart. Then I can pray." Once I heard a sermon titled, "Ten Reasons God Won't Answer Your Prayers." The pastor set the bar so high a lot of people probably gave up praying right then and there.

The wonderful truth is that Jesus sets the bar really low. He just says, "Come." When we're at our worst, when we're needy and thirsty, that's when we qualify for His beautiful open invitation: "Come to me and drink."

Living without Jesus is like living in a dry and thirsty land, and even believers find themselves in that place at times. We need to come to Jesus and ask Him to refresh us with living water. John tells us that Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit when He made this offer (vs. 39). He was promising to pour out the thirst-quenching water of the Holy Spirit into the hearts of all who are thirsty for Him.

Insight: "you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land" (Psalm 63:1).

No comments:

Post a Comment