Wednesday, April 20, 2011

+DEV+ A Son's Privileges

Date: April 20, 2011 12:44 AM
Topic: +DEV+ A Son's Privileges

A Son's Privileges

"But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons" (Galatians 4:4-5).
Scripture Focus: Galatians 4

I relate to the prodigal son. He knew he didn't deserve to be a son after living in the "far country." When he finally decided to come home, he made up a little speech to give to his father: "I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired men."

But what does the father do? He's overcome with compassion! He runs to him, throws his arms around him, and kisses him. He waves all his son's ridiculous suggestions aside and gives orders to his servants: "Quick, bring the best robe, a ring for his finger, sandals for his feet, let's have a feast and celebrate!"

I relate to the prodigal because I so often feel disqualified when I pray. I know I don't deserve a warm welcome. I relate to God like a servant to a master. But Jesus gave us this story to make us bold in our relationship to the Father. By sheer grace, we're seated at the table, celebrated and endowed with all the rights and privileges of sons.

Insight: "For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, 'Abba, Father'" (Romans 8:15).

No comments:

Post a Comment