Monday, January 16, 2012

+DEV+ Nehemiah's Arrow Prayer

Date: January 16, 2012 7:33 PM
Topic: +DEV+ Nehemiah's Arrow Prayer

Nehemiah's Arrow Prayer

"’I was very much afraid’ The king said to me, 'What is it you want?' Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king." (NEHEMIAH 2:2B, 4-5A)
Scripture Focus: Nehemiah 2:1-9

Nehemiah was cup bearer to Artaxerxes, King of Persia. The king could execute anyone who displeased him. Even showing negative emotions in his presence was dangerous. But Nehemiah was downhearted, and it showed. When he approached Artaxerxes, he risked his life. "Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart," Artaxerxes said (vs. 2).

How would the king respond to his request to return to his homeland? He had fasted and prayed before approaching the king. Now Nehemiah prayed for guidance before answering. With mingled fear and faith, he sought God's direction in a short "arrow prayer."

My faith falters at times as did Nehemiah's. Emotions, problems, or pain keep me from realizing God is always ready to hear and answer even my short "arrow prayers." Sometimes I am at a loss for words. But the Holy Spirit guides (see Romans 8:26), and God's own Son, Jesus, intercedes. Our Savior loves us and hears our every cry.

Insight: We don't need to be free from fear and strong in faith for our loving God to hear us and answer even our "arrow prayers".

No comments:

Post a Comment