Tuesday, January 10, 2012

+DEV+ Sarah's Lie

Date: January 10, 2012 12:51 AM
Topic: +DEV+ Sarah's Lie

Sarah's Lie

"'Why did Sarah laugh and say, Will I really have a child, now that I am old? Is anything too hard for the Lord?' Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, 'I did not laugh.' But he said, 'Yes, you did laugh.'" (GENESIS 18:13-15)
Scripture Focus: Genesis 18:9-15

God told Abraham, age 100 and Sarah, age 90, they would have a child, though they felt too old to fulfill God's promise. The thought of having a son seemed ridiculously impossible to Sarah. She laughed to herself.

Well, of course God knew she'd laughed because He knows our thoughts even before they reach our lips. When God confronted her, she lied. What would I have said to Sarah? Probably, "Shame on you for lying! Now there will be no son for you!" But God didn't scold her. He gently exposed the truth. "I know you did laugh." Even to His dishonest, intrusting people, His promises never fail and His compassion never ends.

I've heard people say, "I can't pray about that subject. I just can't talk to God about it." Since God knows everything about us, it's illogical to think anything could be kept from Him. He sees the hidden places of our souls. Can we hide anything from Him? He knows all our thoughts, including the "top-secret" things buried deep in our hearts. And He loves us still!

Insight: God is the same today. He whispers, “I know everything about you, my child - the good and the bad. I love you unconditionally."

No comments:

Post a Comment