Wednesday, January 25, 2012

+DEV+ The Source of Joy

Date: January 24, 2012 10:22 PM
Topic: +DEV+ The Source of Joy

The Source of Joy

"I say these things while I am still in the world, so that they may have the full measure of my joy within them." (JOHN 17:13) Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength. (NEHEMIAH 8:10)
Scripture Focus: John 17:6-26

When I broke my back, I learned joy is not something we switch on like a light. Depression and pain drained me physically, emotionally and spiritually. But beyond the pain, the Lord's joy made me strong enough to face that overwhelming situation. I wasn't happy that I became disabled. But, because God was with me, I knew I would survive and know joy again.

Most people think joy is brought on by pleasant circumstances. True joy does not depend on good things happening. If this were so, Jesus would not have experienced it as He faced the cruelty of His death on the cross. Jesus said that in this world believers would experience heart-rending trials, situations that looked impossible to handle. Do those sound like reasons to be joyful?

His joy implanted deep in us remains in spite of the fiercest storms and most fiery trials we face. The joy of the Lord is our strength because He gave up all the joys of heaven so that we might experience true joy and one day be with Him.

Insight: Joy is one of the gifts the Lord offers us. His true joy makes us strong. We need to accept his gift today.

No comments:

Post a Comment