Wednesday, September 26, 2012

+DEV+ Knowing is not Enough

Date: September 26, 2012 9:32 PM
Topic: +DEV+  Knowing is not Enough

Knowing is not Enough

"If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free."  (John 8:31B-32)
Scripture Focus: John 14:15-31

Does what we know about Bible have real value in our lives? I know in my head that God is perfect, His Word is true and His promises are faithful. But sometimes knowing is not enough. I know that "God heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" (Psalm 147:3) and "The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18). I know Jesus said, "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest" (Matthew 11:28). Peter encourages us to "Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you" (1 Peter 5:7), yet sometimes knowing these things is not enough.

There comes a point when the believer in Jesus Christ needs to put all of the head knowledge to work in the heart. A preacher once said that Growth=Knowledge+Application. However, knowing the formula is not enough either. It is of utmost value to know the truths of the Bible; but it is the Truth of Jesus Christ reigning in your life - changing you from the inside out - that sets you free.

Insight: Stop Wrestling With All The Knowledge You Have Of Jesus Christ, And Put On The Love And Character Of Jesus Instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment